The monastery of Arkadi was built in 1587 over an earlier church of the 14th century. In the 16th century the church of the monastery was given its final form on the baroque style. It was dedicated to Christ th Saviour. Arkadi was an extremely wealthy monastery, a centre of copying Greek manuscripts and a workshop of church embroideries. It’s powder magazines were full and it was very well known for its excellent wine and the hospitality of the monks.
Arkadi gained its world-wide recognition during the revolution 1866-1869, when more than 800 Cretans, including women and children, blew themselves up with gunpowder to avoid captivity. This drew the attention of the European rulers and the way for the island’s freedom was paved.
Today the monastery houses a museum and receives many visitors.